Monday, April 13, 2009

My Top Anime



















#1 Elfen Lied

This is a very gory anime with some sexual/nude content, and is definitely worth watching. It has a great story and an awesome main character. It’s only 13 episodes long, and follows the story of Lucy, a Diclonius with cat-like horns who has telekinetic powers.


#2 Wolf’s Rain

I am highly obsessed with wolves, so that may have influenced my love for this anime. The story follows four wolves in the future. Legend states that when the end of the world comes Paradise will appear and only wolves will be able to enter it, humans believe wolves are already extinct, but they have survived through their ability to take on human form. Cheza, is a girl scientifically created from a lunar flower, she has the power to lead the wolves to Paradise. Has a pretty cool bad guy too, Darcia.


#3 Zombie Loan

I should warn I rarely see Zombie Loan mentioned on any top anime lists, but I think it has a great story. Michiru Kita is a girl who has Shinigami Eyes, which is the power to see how close someone is to their death based on the darkness of a ring around their neck. She meets Chika and Shito who work for Zombie Loan, a company who kills zombies. I don’t want to give away any more information for fear of ruining the story, if you decide to watch it. Just trust, it’s worth watching, especially if you love horror like me.


#4 Neon Genesis Evangelion

I’m not even going to attempt to summarize the story for this one. I like it because the story is asking to be analyzed. Being a film student I like looking for deeper meaning within plots, and this anime is amazing for that. By the end you may have no idea what anything “means” it sort of leaves you hanging, but there are a couple films that come after to help explain everything to you. I usually prefer really dark anime, so this one is a bit different than the others on the list. If you don’t care about anything else I’ve said, there are a lot of fight scenes with giant robots, if you like that sort of thing.


#5 Hellsing (OVA’s)

Anyone who watches anime, I’m sure knows of the Hellsing series. Hellsing is an organization that kills vampires. The anime series has a good story, but in my opinion the animation was terrible (very little movement, a lot of still frame images). The OVA series follows basically the same story, but it looks a hundred times better. As far as I know there are currently five movies, and I highly recommend watching them. This should probably be higher than number five on the list, as I absolutely love vampires, but for now here it stays. 


#6 Vampire Knight

Cross Academy is a school with a day class of humans and a night class of vampires. It is basically a social experiment to determine if humans and vampires can coexist. I’ll be honest that I haven’t made it through this entire series. I got a bit bored of it by the 7th episode (this is the longest running series on this list). I haven’t quite put my finger on what I didn’t like about it, I think the story was just moving along too slow for me. But I love the idea of it, and some great story elements were set up in the episodes I’ve seen. I recommend starting the series and perhaps you’ll want to stick with it and see what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment